Choose the correct forms of there is, there are, it is, they are, to complete these sentences.
there is, there are – use
We use there is, there are to say that something exists.
- There is a lot of noise.
Where something is
We often use there is, there are to say where something is.
- There is a good restaurant at the end of the street.
- There are some keys in that box.
When something happens
We can also use there is, there are to say when something happens.
- There is a concert tonight.
- There are a lot of storms in summer.
a, some, any
We often use there is, there are + a, some, any.
there is + singular / there are + plural
We use there is + singular noun, and there are + plural noun.
- There is a new teacher in the school.
- There are some problems that we need to solve.
We use there is + a list of things if the first noun after there is is singular.
- In the room, there is a bed, a wardrobe and two chairs.
there is, there are – form
Present and past
The past form of there is, there are is there was, there were.
- There is a car in the street. ⇒ There was a car in the street.
- There are some cars in the street. ⇒ There were some cars in the street.
The short form of there is is there’s, but we don’t use a short form of there are. There’s is not used in short answers.
- There’s a new secretary in the office.
- There are two bathrooms in this house.
There are no short forms for there was/there were.
In negative sentences, we often use the short forms there isn’t/there aren’t and there wasn’t/weren’t.
- There isn’t any bread left. We need to buy more.
- There aren’t any cookies in the jar.