How to write an application letter for a summer job
Check the following example.
I read in the local newspaper that you are currently seeking staff to work at your campsite during the summer, and I am interested in applying. I am currently a student at Ravenscroft High School and I am keen to gain some work experience. I am available for work from July 3rd until September 4th. I am happy to work at any time of day from early in the morning until late at night. I am polite and friendly, so I would be happy to serve customers. I’m also physically fit, so I would willingly do manual labour such as keeping the campsite clean and tidy. My work experience includes volunteering with the junior football club and helping neighbours with gardening tasks. I am good at general repair work and and working with computers. I would be happy to meet you for an interview at your convenience. I attach my curriculum vitae.
Thank you for your attention,
➪ Greeting and closing line. These are the first and last lines of your letter.
➪ You can include information about where you saw the advert.
➪ Useful phrases for a letter of application.
➪ Describing yourself and your experience.
Useful phrases for a formal letter
When writing a formal letter, start the letter with Dear Sir / Madam. End your letter with Yours faithfully. You can also add phrases such as:
- Thank you for your attention.
- Thank you for your consideration.
Useful phrases for a letter of application
In your application letter, you should include the following information:
- Which job you are applying for.
- Your background, skills and experience.
You can also include information about the following:
- Where you saw the advert.
- When you are available.
Here are some useful phrases for writing job application letters:
- I read in the newspaper/on your website that you are currently seeking [type of job].
- I would like to apply for this [job / role / position].
- I would like to apply for the role of shop assistant/kitchen assistant/etc.
- I am interested in applying for this [job / role / position].
- My work experience includes…
- I attach my resumé/C.V./curriculum vitae.
- I would be happy to/welcome the opportunity to meet you in person for an interview at your convenience.
It is also a good idea to show in your letter that you understand what the job involves and that your expectations are realistic.
- I would be happy to help serve customers.
- I would willingly do manual labour, such as keeping the campsite clean and tidy.
I am vs I would be
Use I am to describe your situation and personal qualities now.
- I am a student at Nottingham University.
- I am friendly, polite and physically fit.
- I am available from June 13th to September 19th.
Use I would be to describe your situation and qualities if you were given an opportunity. For example:
- I would be happy to help your customers. (If I got the opportunity to work with you.)
- I would be willing to keep the site tidy. (If I got the opportunity to work with you.)
- I would be happy to meet you for an interview. (If you invite me).
A gerund is a verb that is used as a noun. A gerund is a verb in its –ing form. Here are some examples of gerunds in the example letter.
- I am interested in applying for the job.
- I’m good at working with computers.
- I would be willing to do manual labour such as gardening and keeping the site tidy.
- My work experience includes volunteering with my local football club and helping my elderly neighbour.
Useful verbs combinations
Here are some verbs that are useful in job application letters. Some of them use prepositions.
- Look for/seek staff/a job
- Serve/help customers/guests/people
- Volunteer with a local charity/a sports team
- Attach/enclose my CV/resumé
- Do manual labour
- Apply for a job
Interested in + noun/verb-ing
- I am interested in this role.
- I am interested in applying for this job.
Good at + noun/verb-ing
- I am adept at general repair work.
- I am adept at repairing things.
Willing + to-infinitive
- I am willing to do physical, outdoor tasks.
Keen + to-infinitive
- I am keen to gain some work experience.
We are working on this!
We're developing a NEW LEARNING PLATFORM with a subscription plan that includes additional features at an affordable price. One of those features will be PDF downloads.
Exercises Explanation Downloads