In this B1+ Upper-intermediate Vocabulary Lesson about Technology, you will learn about various aspects of technology, from devices and applications to internet usage and the people engaged with these technologies. Check the explanation to familiarize yourself with the expressions before doing the exercises.
Complete the sentences with the most suitable words about technology.
In this B1+ Upper-intermediate Vocabulary Lesson about Technology, you will learn common terms and verbs used to talk about devices, technologies, applications, the internet, and the people who use them. Check the pictures and read the definitions and examples below.
Computers, devices, and the Internet
1 AI, or Artificial Intelligence, refers to the sophisticated technology that enables machines to mimic human intelligence, allowing them to make decisions, solve problems, and learn from data. A 2 gadget is a device that is used to perform a specific function or task, often one that is innovative and ingenious, and a 3 smart device is a type of electronic gadget capable of connecting and sending information to other devices via the internet or other wireless protocols.
- Many people worry that AI will soon replace their jobs.
- Joe’s always buying new gadgets that he claims will make his life easier.
- Smart devices enable us to communicate with others wherever we happen to be.
4 Wearable technology, or wearable devices, are electronics that can be worn on a person’s body. A 5 VR (virtual reality) headset is a type of wearable technology that a person wears over their eyes, which allows them to experience images and sounds produced by a computer as if they were part of real life, and a VR game is a game that you play immersed into a 3D world using a VR headset.
- These days, most wearable technology is comfortable and easy to wear.
- When I put on the VR headset, it was as though I’d entered a futuristic world.
- VR games are becoming more popular than other types of games.
6 Freeware is any program, application, or software that can be freely downloaded without payment, and an 7 internet provider is an organization that provides its customers with services for accessing and using the internet in their businesses or homes.
- It’s freeware, so it won’t cost you a penny.
- I’d been experiencing poor reception for days, so I called my internet provider.
A 8 search engine is a type of website that enables you to search for content available on the internet, whereas a 9 web browser is an application that you use for internet searches that can also track your browsing history.
- Google is my favorite search engine; I don’t use any others.
- I don’t always use the same web browser. I use Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
A 10 server is the place where all the data from a website is stored. It also processes and sends this data to people’s devices when they look at that website. 11 Cybersecurity is the practice of protecting servers, computers, social network accounts, and other systems from malicious cyber-attacks.
- Our webpage has thousands of videos, so we use a server with a lot of disk space.
- With internet crimes on the rise, cybersecurity is essential.
An 12 app is a program on your phone or computer that does a certain job, like a game, a music or photography app, etc. The most popular apps on our phones are social network apps like Facebook, Twitter, etc. A 13 social network is an app or website where you can connect with friends, share pictures, and communicate with each other. The term 14 Social media refers to a broader range of platforms where users create, share, and interact with content, including pictures, videos, and other forms of media. Social media encompasses social networks.
- I’ve downloaded a cool app to track my gym workouts.
- I rely on social networks like Facebook to promote my business.
- Tick Tock is one of the most popular social media platforms.
A 15 WiFi hotspot is an internet access point that enables you to connect to a WiFi network using your smartphone, laptop, or another device, and a 16 screenshot is a photo or image of what can be seen on the screen of a computer or other device at any given time.
- I used the cafe’s WiFi hotspot to send my emails.
- I sent Tom a screenshot of the diagram on my screen.
People and Adjectives
A 1 computer nerd or computer buff is a person who has an obsessive interest in computers. A 2 techie is someone who has a strong interest in technology, especially new or cutting-edge technologies. They are usually well-informed about the latest technological developments and gadgets and are often interested in using and experimenting with them. A 3 technophobe, on the other hand, is a person who is afraid of or distrusts advanced technology or complex devices, especially computers, and a 4 software developer is a professional person who researches, designs, upgrades, and maintains software for computer systems.
- Neil is a computer nerd; computers are his life.
- Tom’s a real techie and is always buying new gadgets.
- My mum is a bit of a technophobe and gets nervous when using a computer.
- As a software developer, I spend most of my time designing new software.
Devices or software that are 5 user-friendly are simple and uncomplicated to use, so little expertise is needed to operate them, and 6 cutting-edge technology is at the forefront of development and ahead of its time. 7 High-tech is similar to cutting-edge; high-tech devices make use of highly advanced technology to perform their functions. 8 Obsolete systems, on the other hand, are out-of-date and usually need updating.
- The device is quite user-friendly, so you shouldn’t have any problems using it.
- We use cutting-edge technology to give users the ultimate listening experience.
- The office is full of hi-tech devices.
- Most of this equipment is completely obsolete.
Verbs and Verb Phrases
When you 1 go online, you connect to the internet to browse, email, or use its other services, and when you 2 browse, you search for information on the internet.
- I go online first thing in the morning to check my emails.
- I spent the morning browsing various clothing websites on the internet.
If you 3 upload something, you send data or files from your computer to the internet, whereas when you 4 download data or software, you transfer information to your computer or phone from another device or from the internet.
- Once you upload these images, anyone will be able to see them.
- I download a lot of films to watch in my free time.
When you 5 sign in to an account, you enter your username and password to enter an application or website, and when you 6 sign up for something, you register and create an account with an application or website so you can log in later with your personal details.
- When you sign in to your account, you need to enter your password.
- You need to sign up to the site before you can download materials.
If you 7 attach something, you add a picture or document to an email or message to share it with the recipient.
- I am attaching the files to this email.
When you 8 back up your computer, you copy a computer file or piece of data as a precaution and save it on a disc or another device in case it crashes because if a computer program or piece of software 9 crashes, it stops functioning properly, making it difficult or impossible to use.
- I had to call the technician because my computer had crashed.
- It’s important to back up your files in case your computer crashes.
If you 10 upgrade software or devices, you replace them with more modern or useful alternatives, whereas when you 11 update files or software on your computer, you change them to a more modern version.
- I upgraded my phone to a more modern version.
- Upgrading your computer will enable you to use the latest version of the app.
When you have a 12 video call or video chat, you have a call with one or more people via the internet in which you can see each other as you talk, and if you have a video conference, you have an online meeting where you can see all the people you are conferring with.
- I had a video call with my colleagues to chat about the project.
- More than 100 people participated in the video conference.
After completing the exercises in this lesson on Technology, you can use the unit’s Vocabulary Flascards to revise and help you memorize the terms.
We are working on this!
We're developing a NEW LEARNING PLATFORM with a subscription plan that includes additional features at an affordable price. One of those features will be PDF downloads.
Personalized English Lessons
Test-English is delighted to announce our partnership with Gymglish to deliver short, personalized and fun online English lessons.
Exercises Explanation Downloads