Another, other, others, the other, the others
Choose another, other, others, the other, the others to complete the sentences below.
Another vs other (determiners)
We can use another and other as determiners, i.e. before a noun.
Use another + singular noun.
- I need another cup of coffee.
Use other + plural noun.
- I want to talk to other doctors.
Note that determiners don’t have a plural form. We say:
- I want to talk to other doctors. (NOT
to others doctors)
Another vs others (pronouns)
We can use another as a pronoun, i.e. not followed by a noun.
- I’ve already had one beer, but I’ll have another.
Others is always a pronoun, i.e. never followed by a noun.
- I don’t want to use these glasses. Aren’t there any others? (=other glasses)
Other vs others
We normally use other + plural noun.
- I want to see other shops before deciding.
Others is a pronoun, i.e. not followed by a noun.
- A lot of volunteers have joined us, but we need to find others.
The other, the others
The other + noun
Use the other + singular noun to mean ‘the second of two things or people, or the opposite of a set of two’.
- This computer here is new. The other computer is about five years old.
We could also say the other one instead of the other computer.
Use the other + plural noun to mean ‘the remaining people or things in a group or set’.
- Joel and Karen are here, but where are the other kids? (the remaining kids in the group)
the other or the others
We can also use the other as a pronoun (not followed by noun).
- This computer here is new. The other is about five years old.
We can also use the others as a pronoun (not followed by noun).
- Joel and Karen are here, but where are the others? (the remaining kids in the group)
We are working on this!
We're developing a NEW LEARNING PLATFORM with a subscription plan that includes additional features at an affordable price. One of those features will be PDF downloads.
Personalized English Lessons
Test-English is delighted to announce our partnership with Gymglish to deliver short, personalized and fun online English lessons.
Exercises Explanation Downloads