How to use the verb go in English
Choose the correct form of go to complete the sentences below.
How to use verb go in English – Grammar chart
In the table below, you can see the different ways to use the verb go in English.
Go + -ing
We use go + -ing verb for many sports, and also some other activities like shopping, dancing, clubbing, etc.
- I want to go shopping this afternoon.
- We went kayaking on Lake Michigan.
We don’t use the in the expressions go to work and go to bed.
- What time do you go to work?
- I’m tired. I‘m going to bed.
We say go to school or go to university without the to mean that go to those places as students.
- They couldn’t go to school for a few days because of the snow.
- Almost 40% of young people go to university.
We say go to prison when someone is taken there as a prisoner.
- He could go to prison if the judge finds him guilty.
Go to a/the
We use go to a/the + nouns describing places or events. We use go to + the before nouns of places that we typically go in the city.
- I need to go to the dentist.
- I‘m going to the bank.
You can know when we use a or the by checking the use of articles in English.
Go for a
We use go for a before nouns describing acitivities, such as a swim, a run, a walk, a ride, a drink, etc.
- The weather is great today. I’m going to go for a swim.
- I have a new bike. Would you like to go for a ride with me?
Go on a
We use go on a before nouns related to holidays, trips or similar, such as holiday, trip, journey, excursion, tour, cruise, etc.
- He went on a cruise with his family.
- Let’s go on an excursion to explore the area.
We are working on this!
We're developing a NEW LEARNING PLATFORM with a subscription plan that includes additional features at an affordable price. One of those features will be PDF downloads.
Personalized English Lessons
Test-English is delighted to announce our partnership with Gymglish to deliver short, personalized and fun online English lessons.
Exercises Explanation Downloads